ESAO International Extra Virgin Olive Oil Awards 2018/19
The Olive Oil School of Spain sponsors the ESAO AWARDS in support of Superior Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
For the 3rd consecutive year, awards will be offered for premium quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), now including new categories and prizes. Awards will be given in several national categories, and, of special note, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards will be given for Best International Extra Virgin Olive Oil awards.
Those wishing to participate must have ownership of an Extra Virgin Olive Oil brand.
The bulk extra virgin olive oil must be from the 2018-2019 harvest, as stipulated by the (EU) Regulation no. 1308/2013 of the European Parlament and Council on 17 December 2013, wherein the common market of agricultural markets was organized.
The oils must comply with the requirements for extra virgin olive oil established by the (EEC) Commission Regulation number 2568/91 of 11 July 1991, relative to the characteristics of olive oil and pomace oil and their method of analysis and postieror modifications.
Every mill can present as many samples of extra virgin olive oil as they wish as long as each sample pertains to a distinct homogeneous batch.
The homogeneous batches must have a minimum of 500 Kilograms for private mills, and 1,000 Kilograms for Cooperatives.
When an oil from a homogeneous batch is stored in 2 or more storage tanks, oil will be taken from both tanks and put together for the final sample. In any case, the storage tanks must be located in the same building.
How and when to apply to the contest
- Before sending the samples, it is necessary to subscribe and pay beforehand.
- The samples must be accompanied by their corresponding physicochemical analysis which will include at the minimum the following parameters: acidity, peroxides, waxes, K and esters.
- A tasting panel will be formed under the Technical direction of the Olive Oil School of Spain who will establish common and specific criteria in accordance with award formats.
- Sensory analysis of Virgin Olive Oil will be carried out in 2 phases:
- First phase: the first consists of the elimination of those oils which present sensory defects.
- Second phase: the oils that pass the first sensory analysis will proceed to further evaluations until the five best oils in each category are selected.
- All EVOOs that have been selected must also meet the physicochemical analysis criteria.
- The head of the tasting panel will issue a report with the points obtained by the three highest scoring EVOOs in each category. If there is a tie, the physicochemical report will be taken into consideration.
- After establishing the final scores, the jury will verify the identification of the oils through their corresponding codes and will issue a complete report of the winners and their positions.
- The criteria for scoring and evaluating will be based on the Ministry of Agriculture’s tasting evaluation protocol.
Best International Extra Virgin Olive Oil awards include
- Special Award Logo that can be used on bottles, packaging, web pages and other public relations media.
- Publication on the ESAO website and social networks.
Reduced rate for subscriptions before 31st of December 2018